How will airport expansion affect me?
Increased noise, decreased property values, and increased pollution for those in or near the flight
There are a number of ways in which the airport expansion might affect you:
- Increased noise due to increased numbers of flights, larger aircraft, lower flight paths, and new flight paths over areas that are not currently experiencing signifigant noise problems.
- Decreased property values caused by increased aircraft noise. Studies indicate property values drop as noise increases. As the noise increases by 1 decibel the prperty value decreases from 1-4%.
- Increaased pollution from plane exhaust, refueling operations, and other toxic runoff.
- Increased traffic on local roadways. Colubmsu and Ohio taxpayers,will foot the bill for improvements to roadways surrounding the airport.
- Since 9/11 many corporations no longer use commercial airlines for business travel. As a result commercial airports across the US have reported a significant reduction in air travel. Port Columbus has been hard hit by reduced air travel and also the lost the Southwest Hub. These changes have reduced the number of flights available for us, commerical air travelers. Next time you plan to travel by air you may not be able to fly directly to your destination. You may find limited service(times/day) and expensive tickets.
- Some of these issues will be discussed in more depth in other questions as we prepare them.